I have searched the internets far and wide for a glue recipe without milk or flour. 1) I want it not to smell like sour milk and last longer than a day. 2) we’re allergic to gluten and corn here so flour and corn starch/syrup are right out.
I finally found a recipe along with 10 others here that doesn’t include any of our contraband ingredients. I did have to tweak it though, because the 1st attempt did not work. So here’s the recipe with my own adjustments in italics.
Waterproof Glue (no milk)
- Boil 6 Tbsp of water in a small sauce pan. (Boil 4 Tbsp)
- Add 2 packets of unflavored gelatin to the boiling water and stir until dissolved. (This doesn’t work, the gelatin clumps up and makes a big mess. Instead, take the remaining 2 Tbsp of cold water from the original 6 [you boiled 4] and add the gelatin to the cold water to soften. Then once the 4 Tbsp are boiling, remove from heat, and stir in the gelatin mixture.)
- Once the gelatin is dissolved, add 2 Tbsp of white distilled vinegar, and 1 tsp of glycerin. (I added 1 Tbsp instead of 1 Tsp. Adjust the gelatin to glycerin ratio until you reach your desired consistency)
- Stir well
- Let cool before pouring into your airtight container.
- Use glue slightly warm- heat for 10 seconds in the microwave or place container of glue in warm water to warm gently.