I referenced this in my pickle post and realized some may have no idea what I was talking about. So, for your culinary benefit, here’s a thunder and lightning recipe. There’s really no wrong way to do this one and it’s always delicious.
*Can be made a few days in advance and keeps well in the fridge for over a week.*
- 1-2 cucumbers, peeled (if desired) and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion (I like Vidalia)
- 1-2 c. Distilled white vinegar (enough to cover veggies)
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar (I prefer coconut palm sugar to white sugar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice cucumber and onion, as thinly or thickly as desired, I usually go with about a 1/4″ thickness with the cukes, and about 1/8″ thickness on the onions.
- Place veggies in a bowl (or other lidded container) with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover veggies with vinegar and stir to incorporate the sugar and spices.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. My opinion is that it gets better the longer it sits.
- Serve as a side or use to garnish a mixed green salad. 😊
You can experiment with different vinegars, like balsamic or ACV, as well as with different herbs or spices like dill, or garlic, even add a garden fresh tomato or some black olives, if you like. Have fun with the endless variations! It’s a summer favorite around here.